Wait... what... is this really happening at this moment?!? There are a million things that will probably cross your mind after your significant other begins to ask you the big question. You may have been waiting for it since you knew they were "the one". You may have even had a conversation or two with your partner that led you to believe this day was fast approaching. But here you are and you are blown away none-the-less.
I myself responded in disbelief when my now-husband asked me, followed by how did you do this (zero grace on my part), then by not hearing a thing he said until "Will you marry me?". I love our engagement but I sure wish I calmed down and listened to what he was saying. If only someone had told me what to expect from myself and given me a few pointers to make it a little more memorable on my part. So after studying many proposals I came up with a few things to handle this momentous occasion with grace and ease!
Photos courtesy of Chad Johnson
1. First things first... take a breath. Your mind is racing and you are quickly trying to evaluate the situation to figure out if it is really happening right now. Let me tell you... it is! So take a breath and refocus so you can enjoy this once in a lifetime moment.
2. This moment is about you and the person you want to spend your life with. If there are family or friends, a photographer/videographer, or other distractions happening around you, try to block those out and really listen to what your partner is saying to you at that moment. Chances are they are things that you want to hear and important reasons your significant other wants you to say "yes".
3. Just go with the flow and let things unfold naturally. Don't worry about what you look like, the mood you were in 2 seconds ago, or the circumstances. This is the perfect moment your partner chose to ask you - so just go with it! Let your partner lead the way. Here is an example of how not going with the flow can complicate things.
4. Your response is everything. The natural response that I have heard many times is something along the lines of "Are you serious?" followed by a "yes". Keep in mind that your other half may be a tad nervous waiting for your response - try not to keep him or her in suspense!
5. Relax and enjoy the moment after the "yes" for as long as you'd like. You have time to call mom and dad or hug the friend that helped put this whole engagement together. There's plenty of time to spread the news and much celebration to be had. But don't forget what all this is really about - the love you and your partner share and your life together.
I love watching proposals... You get to witness the unique, personalized way someone chooses to ask the love of their life to spend forever with them. You can't help but be joyful because you get to witness love. That's what it's all about, isn't it? In watching these proposals I've also noticed people's reactions vary when responding to this anticipated question. Here are some of my favorites that I have come across:
This one is pretty romantic - Check it out!
Sometimes it's a group affair - Check it out!
Some people are super creative - Check it out! (This may be my favorite)
Even if you don't remember my tips and tricks when it does happen, you and your spouse will have a story to tell about the moment you both decided to spend your lives together. Best wishes from our team!
If you have an interesting proposal you'd like to share with us please email me!. You can see pictures of some of our client's proposals and engagement sessions on Each & Every Detail's Facebook page.
Check out our Portfolio for some wedding inspiration!
Shawna Pilcher - Brand Ambassador at Each & Every Detail